Thursday, July 13, 2006

Rock Star: Supernova - Week 2 Review

This show is American Idol for straight guys. I got hooked last season, mainly because I would love to get in a band and play that kind of music. I missed out on the first week, so I'll have to start my review with week 2....

Magni
Song: "My Generation" - The Who
Review: Strong vocal performance and he had control of the stage. Its always hard to lead off, but I thought he nailed it. Good song choice as well. I thought Jason was going to cream himself doing the bass solo. Tommy said it was ho-hum...he liked the ho, but wanted more hum. I think he meant he wanted a hummer from a ho.
Grade: A-

Jenny
Song: "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell
Review: I wouldn't consider "Tainted Love" a rock song. It'd be cool to do in a club, but this is the big time, honey. I did dig her arrangement as she started it slow, then kicked it in for the second chorus.
Grade: B

Jill
Song: "Violet" - Hole
Review: As soon as I saw the wedding dress and the flowers, I knew this performance was in trouble. She didn't do a bad job with the song, but she kept flailing around the stage and losing contact with the microphone. It doesn't matter how good you sing, if it sounds like you're talking through the drive-thru microphone at McDonalds, you're gonna suck. And please, don't try to be a dirty, slutty, heroine-junky like Courtney Love. Its just not a good image. You did get to see her underwear at the end, which was a plus.
Grade: C+

Zayra
Song: "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks
Review: It sucked. I hate the way she sings, the way she moves around the stage, the way she dresses, everything.Gilby had the best lines of the night when he told her "she had no clue what they were looking for in a singer" and asked "if she even owned any of their albums". And of course, she didn't. If you are between the ages of 18 and 35 and don't have at least one GNR, Motley Crue, or Metallica song somewhere around the house, you've either been in a coma, in a cave, at band camp, or in the mountains of Puerto Rico for the past 20 years. Apparently, she was in option #4.
Grade: F

Chris
Song: "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
Review: After being in the bottom 3 last week, Chris had to bring it. He picked a good song and vocally I thought he was ok, but he should have ruled the stage with that song. Thats a great song that people can get into, but I just didn't feel it from him.
Grade: B-

Dilana
Song: "Ring Of Fire" - Johnny Cash
Review: This chick just scares me. Her gypsy rendition of the Johnny Cash classic was cool, but it scares the bejesus out of me that she just stands there and stares directly into my soul. Her voice is a little funky; it kind of sounds like that recording toy they had in the early 90s that can slow down your voice ("Hi kids. We're home early."). But her she-devil image should keep her around for awhile.
Grade: B

Josh
Song: "With Arms Wide Open" - Creed
Review: This was a good song.....in 1999. It definitely doesn't stand the test of time and neither did this performance. He kind of sounds like Kermit the Frog with a head cold.
Grade: C+

Phil
Song: "If You Could Only See" - Tonic
Review: If you could only stop playing this song. I didn't like it when it came out and I don't like it now. Isn't this supposed to be a ROCK SHOW!?!?! He did make it sound like the actual Tonic track, so I give him props there. Jason's comment at the end about "Plant your feet and CRUSH IT", made me want to punch him.
Grade: B-

Storm
Song: "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
Review: Finally back to rock songs!! I'm not going to lie. I want Storm to have my children. There is something about her that is really sexy. I just want to tie her up, take her clothes off and.... Anyway, I thought this song was in too low of a key for her, and she kind of looked like an ogre stomping around the stage at times. But she and Dilana are the only girls who can pull off a guy song, so they might make it to the end.
Grade: B

Patrice
Song: "Heart-Shaped Box" - Nirvana
Review: I have to compare it to Jordace (sp?) last year, and Jordace killed her. And what is with the guitar? She played about 3 notes at the beginning, then played about 2 power chords in the verse. She doesn't even look comfortable holding it. For some reason, Dave told her she did a great job playing, so I'm sure we'll see it again next week.
Grade: B-

Lukas
Song: "Don't Panic" - Coldplay
Review: I guess he sang it well. I'm not a Coldplay fan, so I just counted down the minutes until it was over.
Grade: B

Ryan
Song: "Jumpin' Jack Flash" - The Rolling Stones
Review: Average performance of an average song. He doesn't have a real good look either. He's they guy that you forget about every week, which will keep him around for awhile, but he's got no shot at winning.
Grade: B-

Dana
Song: "Born To Be Wild" - Steppenwolf
Review: For the second week in a row, this chick proved she could SING! She's probably the best pure vocalist of the entire group, but she just doesn't have the look or attitude. She'd be a great singer for a local bar band, but can you really see her touring with Tommy Lee, one of the sleaziest rockers of all time? She'll hang around for awhile on her vocal talent, but she'll end up as this year's "Sweet Suzie".
Grade: B+

Toby
Song: "Somebody Told Me" - The Killers
Review: This guy gets it. Great song choice, great performance. I wanted to pick up my guitar and jam when he was finished. I'm still singing it. "Somebody told me, that you had a boyfriend...."
Grade: A+

So Toby gets my vote for the encore, and Zayra gets a vote to get crated up in a box and sent back to Puerto Rico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home