Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Rock Star: Supernova - Week 3 Review

After hearing the news that Dave Navarro and Carmen Electra are getting divorced, I was worried that he'd be too broke up to do the show. Damn, it looks like he made it.

Patrice
Song: "Helter Skelter" - The Beatles
Review: It's always tough to be a curtain-jerker, but she did alright. At least she put the guitar down. Of course, maybe she played it to cover up, because she looked fat this week. Anway, decent job on the song, but she just seems more like a weird, tatooed soccer-mom than a rock star.
Grade: B-

Josh
Song: "Come As You Are" - Nirvana
Review: This guy should have come as somebody else. He still sounds like Ray Ramono sucking helium. He had a chance to play a good rock song, but then he made it acoustic. If Train ever was looking for a lead singer, this would be it.
Grade: C-

Storm
Song: "Just What I Needed" - The Cars
Review: I want to bang this chick even more now. She was doing some really sexy stroking and humping of the mic stand.....oh yeah. I guess she sang ok, I wasn't paying attention to that. I will say that she really knows how to control the stage. She has some weird facial expressions, but oh well. After her performance, Tommy hinted that he wanted to see her naked. She replied, "Google". As soon as I'm done with this post, I'm going there.
Grade: B+

Lukas
Song: "Let's Spend the Night Together" - The Rolling Stones
Review: Not one of my favorite Stones songs, but he did it cool. He is the first person I've seen that's been able to pull off a Mick Jagger without looking like a cartoon. Dave said afterwards that he loves the arrogance, but I disagree. It's great to act like you're the best singer in the world, but you have to connect with the audience. You can't do that if you act like you're better than them as well.
Grade: B

Jill
Song: "All Right Now" - Free
Review: Truely an unmemorable performance, as I couldn't even remember it to give it a grade. I did notice that this chick is aging like 5 years every week. She looked like she was 35 tonight. I'd like to see her make the finals, just to see how she does with a walker. (Again, Tommy hit on a chick. Is he looking for a lead singer, or trying to get laid?)
Grade: B-


Ryan
Song: "Fortunate Son" - Creadance Clearwater Revival
Review: Great vocals, but he is just not a good front man. He should be a drummer, as not moving seems to be this guys thing. Besides, who cares about the drummer (right, Mills?). Anyway, Gilby nailed it when he said this guy looks like he doesn't want to be there.
Grade: B-

Phil
Song: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane
Review: Jason got on stage and played bass on this song. At one point, he started banging into Phil, which caused Phil to nearly sh*t his pants in terror. It's probably not good if you scare your lead singer. Anyway, Phil hit a couple flat notes at the end and had way too much head bobbing. But there were probably enough lousy performances to save him for another week
Grade: C+

Dana
Song: "It's My Life" - Bon Jovi
Review: For the first time since I started watching this show, I thought the house band came up short. They just weren't thick enough in the verses. This girl is an excellent singer, but she's just not rock and roll. She'll never have an off night, but she'd do better on American Idol
Grade: B-

Toby
Song: "Runaway Train" - Soul Asylum
Review: 3 for 3. Toby nailed it again this week, and is probably the front-runner at this point. Interesting song choice, as I just read that Soul Asylum is coming out with their first album since 1998. Dave must hate thing song though, as he looked like he was sleeping at one point.
Grade: A-

Magni
Song: "Plush" - Stone Temple Pilots
Review: He wore sunglasses this week, and while it was a good look for him, it made him look like Rob Halford. I thought the performance was ok, but he's no Scott Weiland. A tip for future performers: Don't pick a song that you can't at least match the level of the original singer on. Magni just didn't have it on the chorus.
Grade: B

Zayra
Song: "Everybody Hurts" - R.E.M.
Review: Apparantly, Zayra still hasn't heard a GNR, Motley Crue, or Metallica song. Maybe she listens to Methods of Mayhem, because she sucks as bad as they did. And was she wearing an evening gown? I'll stop being harsh and say that she did do a good job with this song, but pick some friggin' rock music!!
Grade: C

Jenny
Song: "Drive" - Incubus
Review: I like this chick less and less every week. I thought it was a good choice to do an Incubus song, but she picked the lamest one. Then she arranged it into almost a lounge act. Plain and simple: she sucks. (I've noticed that Jason has hardly spoken at all this week. Maybe they realized that whenever he opens his mouth, he sounds like an idiot.)
Grade: C-

Dilana
Song: "Zombie" - The Cranberries
Review: When I heard what song she was doing, I sat up in my chair. I thought "Here's a great female rock singer doing a great female rock song". I have to say I was a little disappointed. She still did a kick-ass job, but it wasn't as good as it could have been. She changed the melody at certain spots, and while I usually like that, it didn't fit here.
Grade: A-

My vote for the encore goes to Toby again, and even though Jenny sucked hard this week, I still vote for Zayra to get crated up in a box and sent back to Puerto Rico.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Ok, I can't say that I disagree with you on anything. This show is just glorified karaoke and the new band will probably go nowhere. But since I one day hope to have my own band, I'm into it.
I also agree that Lit sucks.
So does PSU.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home