Saturday, August 19, 2006

Blind Date

Last night was the highly anticipated blind date that I probably told half the world about. Blind dates are always interesting to me because you really get to see what your friends think of you. They are basically setting you up with a person that they think is on the same attractiveness level that you are on. After the last blind date I went on, I almost cut my head off because my friend apparently thought I was at "troll" level.

So last night rolls around, and we had decided that we were going to go to a Curve game. So I'm dressed and ready to go, and let me tell you, I look pretty damn good. The months at the gym and some new clothes are really paying off. She calls to tell me that, she's running late (not a good sign), and the game is sold out; its standing room only. Great, so its possible that I may have to stand for 3 hours next to a troll. At least they sell beer there...

She finally shows up at my place. (I had offered to pick her up, but she said no.) She gets out of her car, and I breathe a sigh of relief.....no troll. Ok, so my friend doesn't put me at Jessica Alba level, but he certainly didn't pull anyone out of the gutter. So hurdle one is crossed.

We drive to the game and she insists on paying for parking. As we go to buy tickets, we run into her brother, who had 2 tickets that someone just gave to him. He gave them to us, so that we can sit, which was really cool of him. We take our seats (8 rows back, halfway down the 3rd base line), and start talking. Conversation goes pretty good. She's an outgoing girl, who's super easy to talk to (unlike the troll who I peppered with questions for an hour and a half and only got 5 word responses). We actually have a decent amount in common: volleyball, basketball, coaching, etc. So far this date is going well: I'm with a decent girl, who's easy to talk to, and so far I've haven't spent a single penny.

So the game ends (13-1, Curve) and they start the fireworks. Now I have lived a half-mile from the stadium for a year, heard the fireworks go off all the time, and this was the first time I actually saw them. Ok, so they aren't anything great, but they are decent.

Fireworks end, and I suggest we go out for drinks at Zach's. She seems less than thrilled, but goes along. After a beer and some more conversation, 2 of her friends show up. I was immediately disappointed, because from my experience, if the girls out-number the guys by at 3-1 margin, it turns into a "I Hate Guys"-fest. So it was at this point that I started drinking a little heavier. I give my date a lot of credit though, because she made it a point to keep me in the conversation, and even talk to me alone. I did pick up the tab for the 4 of us, so I spent a total of $16 on the evening.

We rap things up around midnight, drive back to my place, and go our separate ways. There was no hanky-panky (sorry to disappoint you perverts).

So my thoughts: I had a good time, but there was no massive connection between us. Could there be? I don't know. Would I got out with her again? Yes. I had fun. Also, it's been quite a while since I've done the dating thing, and I could tell that I was out of practice. I can't really describe it, but I felt like I do when I play basketball after not having touched a ball in months: my timing was just a little off. Blind dates are hard too, because I don't want to offend the other person. I can be a pretty raunchy at times, and say things that would make a sailor cringe. And while I learned a long time ago to never try to be somebody that you are not, I'm not about to go dropping F-bombs and joking about her menstrual cycle. That is more of a 3rd date thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home