Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Fantasy Football

I got talked into playing fantasy football with a couple of guys from work, and we had our draft tonight. We used EA Sports for the league, which is a really cool site. Unfortunately, by doing it online we missed out on all the beer drinking and trash talking that I thought was a necessary part of this process.

Considering this was my first time, I didn't think I did too bad. I was picking 7th out of 12, and my goal was to get starting RBs in the first 2 rounds. After that, it was a crap shoot.

The draft was a little crazy as there was a run on defenses/special teams early on. I've never seen a mock draft where defenses went that early, so I had to take one sooner than I thought. The highlight of the night was when somebody took Ricky Williams in the 13th round. Apparently pot-smoking and CFL touchdowns earn you points in this league. Had I known that I would have taken Cheech and Chong.

So here's what I ended up with. I accomplished my goal of 2 starting RBs. The only thing I'm kind of shaky on are WRs. I took a few flyers on some guys and I'm hoping they pan out:

  1. RB Edgerrin James
  2. RB Cadillac Williams - I have questions on both these guys, but if they stay healthy, they should be good.
  3. QB Tom Brady - SI's #1 rated QB. I couldn't believe he was still around.
  4. WR Chris Chambers - By this time the premier receivers were gone and I was scrounging
  5. WR Donald Driver - Still scrounging....
  6. TE Todd Heap - Top 5 fantasy TE, so I was ecstatic to get him here.
  7. RB Joseph Addai - I had the old Edgerrin James, so I figured I'd get the new one too.
  8. D/ST Washington Redskins - With Randle El, they may get a few special teams TDs
  9. WR Antonio Bryant - I have no idea who this guy is
  10. WR Matt Jones - Hopefully Byron Leftwich's #1 guy
  11. WR Michael Jenkins - Again, who is this guy?
  12. QB Mark Brunell - Hopefully he makes it to Brady's bye week
  13. RB Greg Jones - Former FSU star will play when Fred Taylor inevitably gets injured
  14. K Lawrence Tynes - Are kickers even real football players?
  15. WR Charles Rodgers - Cross my fingers an hope Mike Martz makes him good

So that's it. I'll keep you posted on how I do. Some of those picks were really iffy and I'll either end up looking like a genius or an idiot. At least I didn't pick Ricky Williams.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I hear Tom Brady broke both legs and arms. Guess you should drop him.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home