Sunday, October 08, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Last night, my friend Steve talked me into going out back in my home town. Now it had been probably about a year since I last when out there, so I forgot how lame it was. I quickly remembered:

Steve wanted to go early, so I got to Reifer's Bar (I'm not making that name up) around 8:30. When I walked in, I noticed 2 things: 1) Steve was the only person there, and 2) the screen door leading into the bar didn't have a screen. So you could literally walk THROUGH the door, which I did several times that night.

Now for those of you who have never been to a small-town bar, there are only a few things you can do there. You can drink. You can play pool. You can play darts. Since I'm no good at the latter two, I stuck with my strength: drinking. Another thing about small town bars is that everything was insanely cheap. If it wasn't for the $5 cover that I would later pay, I would have only spent $10 for the entire night.

So back to Reifer's....After a while there, some more people trickled in and we heard that there was a band at the Elecric Avenue, the "up-scale" bar of the area. Now saying that the Electric Avenue is the "up-scale" bar is like saying that Blanche was the "hot" Golden Girl. But we went there anyway, hoping to find a better time. We didn't. After being there about an hour, a guy came around to collect the $5 cover. We paid it, the band started, and we quickly realized that 1) The band sucked, and 2) Nobody was there. So we split after 4 songs and went back to Reifer's, $5 lighter.

On the way back, Steve decided he needed cigarettes, so we stopped at a convenience store. Inside we found some visibly intoxicated people who were raving about the awesome DJ and dancing going on at the Alley Popper. Hmmm, that sounded like a good time, so we went there. When we walked in the door, we found that there were literally 6 people there and only 2 were dancing. So as to not look like fools, we got a drink then left.

Back at Reifer's, we walked THROUGH the door, hung out for awhile, then I took off, vowing to never come back for at least another year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home