Wednesday, August 30, 2006

How could you not know who GNR is?!?!


A British radio station recently asked its listeners to come up with the top 40 guitar soloes of all time. For those of you that doubt the genius of Slash, GNR had 3 songs in the top 20, more than any other group. I think it just proves that good guitar playing is not about playing as fast or as hard as you can, but taking your time and finding meaningful melodies. But I digress....On to the top 20:

1 Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
2 Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
3 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird
4 Van Halen - Eruption
5 Guns N' Roses - November Rain
6 Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
7 Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
8 Jethro Tull - Aqualung
9 The Eagles - Hotel California
10 Deep Purple - Child In Time
11 Queen - Brighton Rock
12 Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
13 Deep Purple - Highway Star
14 Wishbone Ash - Throw Down The Sword
15 Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears
16 Cream - Crossroads
17 Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
18 Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You
19 Ten Years After - I'm Going Home (Woodstock)
20 Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

Some random comments: I listened to "Comfortably Numb" today, and while it does have a great solo, I don't think its truely memorable. At least not enough to be #1.....Believe it or not, Slash actually hated the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine"......For my money, the end solo to "November Rain" is the greatest of all time. Pure emotion. From the first time I heard it, I knew I wanted to play guitar.....Glad to see "Since I've Been Loving You" on the list. Not a very well known Zeppelin song, but it has some of my favorite blues lines.....I noticed that there were no songs from the grunge era or later. While I do like some of modern rock, I truely think that grunge killed the guitar......Oh, and what a surprise. Lit didn't make the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home