Thursday, September 07, 2006

Failure, Part II

After last night, I realized that another sign of failure is that even when you do everything in your power to succeed, bad luck, fate, or a drunken friend intervenes to cause your downfall.

Last night, I made it a point to get to bed early. Every part of me wanted to stay up and watch the Andy Roddick tennis match (even though I could care less about the US Open or tennis in general), but I forced myself to go to sleep. Around 1:15 I was awakened by the sound of my cell phone. I use my cell phone as my alarm clock only with a different ring tone, so there is always a moment of confusion when it goes off in the middle of the night. Is it "Fall To Pieces" (phone call) or "Start Me Up" (alarm clock)? Last night it was a phone call.

It turns out that my friend Stephany had been out on the town in Philly and decided that I would be interested in hearing about it. Now Stephany has done this before, and had sworn to me that she would never do it again. So the first words out of her mouth are pretty much "I am so sorry." Which makes no sense, because if she really was sorry, she wouldn't have called. So, after 15 minutes of pointless banter, she tells me that she is going back out and leaves me in that nice state of being tired, but needing to unwind again. A half hour later, I finally fell back to sleep.

I am really not mad at Stephany. Do I wish she would have called? No. But it does give me and amusing story, and really, I'm no worse off because of it. Though, I would like to put a new rule in place for her (and her sisters) that if they go out, they must give their cell phones to someone sober. Kind of a Designated Caller.

Oh, and I'd like to apologize for my post last night. Apparently it didn't come off as tongue-in-cheek as I wanted it too, so for all of you who have put me on suicide watch, I really don't think I'm a failure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home